Special Assistance and Services
The Kelowna International Airport is committed to helping passengers who face everyday challenges by removing barriers and offering additional services. Passengers with special needs are welcome to contact YLW's Administration Office with any questions about the services or amenities listed below. We also encourage those who require special assistance to inform their airline of their specific needs. Additional information about the screening process can be obtained from the Canadian Transportation Agency's website www.cta-otc.gc.ca.
To view this page through the Access to Travel website, please click here.
Throughout our airport, YLW strives to maintain a fully accessible facility. Amenities include:
YLW also offers a variety service to assist passengers with physical challenges.
- Wheelchairs - are available at the airline check-in desk or by request of an Airport Ambassador or the Duty Manager.
- Security Escort Passes - available at the airline check-in counter, these temporary passes allow for a family member or aid to escort a passenger in need of special assistance through security to their departure gate. Our specially trained Airport Ambassadors are also available to escort passengers with special needs through pre-board screening into the departures area - simply inquire at the airline check-in desk about this service.
- Text phone teletype centre - located in the arrivals terminal (to the immediate left of the car rental booths) and near the business centre in the departures lounge, pay text telephone/teletype centres are available for hearing or speech-impared patrons.
- Service animals - A relieving area for service animals has been designated in the landscaping to the right of the Arrivals exit doors. (Please note that due to a local bylaw other dogs and pets in general are not allowed in the terminal unless properly contained within their traveling cases).
- Communication/languages - please contact the Airport administration office to inquire about employees or volunteers that speak various languages, including sign language.
- Ground transportation - many of our car rental agencies, taxi and shuttle companies have indicated that they can accomidate patrons with various needs, however, advanced booking is required. For a list of accomodating companies and their contact information, please visit our ground transportation page.