New fees for natural gas, plumbing and building permits went into effect Jan 1, 2012. See the fee adjustment bulletin for full details and rates.
Please apply for Building Permits at the one-window customer service agents located on the second floor at City Hall. Depending on the complexity of the application, initial plan check takes approximately two weeks for a single family dwelling and four weeks for commercial, industrial and multi-family buildings.
See our bulletins and checklists for more details.
Building Permits are required for:
- the design and construction of a new building
- the change in occupancy of any building
- an alteration of any building, structural or non-structural
- an addition to any building
- the demolition of any building
- the reconstruction of any building that has been damaged
- the correction of an unsafe condition in or about any building
- all parts of any building affected by a change in occupancy
- the alteration, rehabilitation and change of occupancy of heritage buildings
- construction of all accessory buildings 10 sq. metres (108 square feet) and larger
- placement of buildings and structures (ie: mobile homes)
- construction of retaining walls greater than 1.2 m in height
- construction of swimming pools
- construction of parking lots
- installation of building canopies, marquees and awnings
- placement of hoarding
- installation of solid fuel burning appliances
- installation of extinguishing equipment over cooking appliances
- installation of canopies over cooking appliances
After a building permit is issued several site inspections are required (building, plumbing and heating) prior to final approval and the issuance of an occupancy permit. Permit fees vary according to the cost of development.