Female Athlete of the Year Award
- Awarded to the female athlete (amateur or professional) who brought the greatest amount of recognition to Kelowna in 2014.
- Include Provincial, National and World Ranking if applicable.
- Selections are based on the nominee's achievements for the year 2015.
- Past information (awards and achievements) may be included, but should be primarily regarding the current award year.
- Finalist selections are based solely on the information in the completed nomination package.
Nominate a deserving individual for Female Athlete of the Year. online nomination / pdf nomination
2015 Female Athlete of the Year Award Recipient
Stroke by stroke, in 2015, Kierra Smith swam across a good chunk of the globe. In February she won back-to-back gold medals in the 100 and 200 meter breaststroke in Ohio at the Big Ten Conference Championship. Two month’s later it was on to World Championship Trials in Toronto where she was able to qualify for the Pan Am games and the worlds.
In June, Kierra swam her way through the pools of France, Barcelona and Monte Carlo competing in the European Mare Nostrum circuit, winning a bronze medal in the 200 meter in Barcelona.
July was a record breaking month for Kierra, winning gold in the 200 meter breaststroke and breaking the Pan Am games record both in the preliminary heat and again in the finals. Then she finished her season off in August at the World Championships in Russia, finishing 8th.
Since then, she’s been training in Minneapolis and is now back in Kelowna preparing for Olympic trials. Keeping Kelowna in the news internationally, I wonder if she ever tells TV sportscasters that she learned to swim so fast from being chased by the Ogopogo?
Past Recipients of the Award
2015 - Kierra Smith
2014 - Kelsey Serwa
2013 - Keely Watts-Watling
2012 - Jen Woods
2011 - Kelsey Serwa
2010 - Kelsey Serwa
2009 - Samantha Richdale
2008 - Heather Mandoli
2007 - Sarah Charles
2006 - Robyn Buna
2005 - Jessie Denys
2003 - Sarah Charles