Tourist-oriented destination signs
Clear and consistent Tourist Oriented Destination Signs (TODS) assist visitors and residents with getting to major attractions within the city. The TODS policy has been designed to ensure there are clear and consistent direction signs in order to optimise business success, reduce driver confusion and minimize sign clutter on our roadways.
The goals of the policy are to:
- ensure clear way-finding for tourists in order to optimise business success and to present tourists with clear and consistent directional signage;
- set eligibility criteria for tourist attraction operators;
- formalize the application process to qualified tourist attraction operators;
- minimize sign proliferation on City roadways, in order to maintain safety and to avoid driver confusion at all times;
- recover sign manufacturing, installation, maintenance and administration costs; and
- integrate with the current provincial signage program.
How to apply for signs
- Read the TODS policy and determine if your business is eligible for signage.
Basic criteria includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Comply with all Federal, Provincial and Municipal regulations;
- Maintain a valid Business License;
- Be open to the general public and serve tourists;
- Be accessible by public roads;
- Must have regular, stated hours of operation; and
- Be open at least five days per week for a minimum of 12 consecutive weeks per year.
- If you are eligible, an application can be filled out and submitted to the Traffic Operations department, located at the City Works Yard via mail or in-person. If you’re not sure if you qualify, you can e-mail for assistance.
- If you are eligible and have completed the application, you will need to submit the $100 application fee.
- Your application will be reviewed and you will be contacted for clarification and/or to review sign locations.
- You will be provided with a quote for the signs ($180 per sign plus applicable taxes) and once paid, we will manufacture and install the signs.
The sign fee includes sign location, sign manufacturing, utility locates, labour to install and hardware. Fees can be paid by MasterCard, Visa, debit, cash or cheque at City Works Yard. If you are sending your application through the mail, please only include cheques, no cash.
Traffic Operations Department
City of Kelowna
City Works Yards
1495 Hardy Street