Outdoor event guidelines

When planning your event, please ensure the following conditions are implemented:

  • Dogs are permitted on walkways only in city parks.
  • Any vehicle in the parks must be driven in a safe and appropriate manner. If a vehicle has to be moved during an event, there should be a minimum of two guides to avoid pedestrian/vehicle conflicts.
  • Staking / ground penetration is NOT permitted in any city park (with the exception of North Field in City Park)
  • Liquor service is permitted at designated parks and requires City approval and must meet City/RCMP/BC LCLB requirements.
  • Site plans must be submitted with your application for approval. A site walk may be required to finalize details prior to your event; this may include a load in/out schedule. A post event site walk may be required for larger events to access and possibly eliminate any potential charges.
  • Park services does not provide waste removal services for events:
    • All garbage/recyclables generated by the event must be removed from the event site. Any garbage/recycling left in receptacles or on the site (after the last day of your event) will be removed by Park Services & an additional charge of $40 per un-emptied receptacle will be applied to the damage deposit on file. In addition, a penalty of $100 (per Parks Bylaw #10222 part 3.2) will be applied to the damage deposit for failure to remove any garbage/recyclables generated by your event.
    • All containers must be returned to the original drop off location, emptied of all contents. If containers are not returned to the original drop site an additional charge of $20 per can.

  • Operating Entertainment Permit is a requirement under the BC Safety Act and Electrical Safety Regulations, therefore a permit is required for events on City property that uses electrical power (utility or generator). Contact BC Safety Authority to obtain more information on electrical permit requirements 250-861-7322 .
  • All inflatable play structures at public events are required to have a valid operating permit and operators must be registered with BC Safety Authority & obtain a valid operating permit. If an inflatable is on site for your event, it is the responsibility of the event organizer to ensure the play structure has been permitted.
  • Concrete brick or other surfaces are not to be marked with paint, chalk or other substances.

Events with food services/vendors:

  • Food services/vendors must submit the ‘Application for Temporary Food Service Permit’ directly to the Outdoor Event Coordinator and the application will be forwarded to Interior Health Authority for approval.
  • Various city parks have operating lease agreements in place with food / activity concessions on site. These agreements give leasees the right to operate during events without closure. Restrictions may be placed on events with respect to number of dedicated event vendors on site so not to impact these leased operators.
  • Drop cloths are required for all vehicles, generator or food service on site in a park.
  • Vendors are not permitted to dump grease, grey water, boiling water or ice onto the turf areas, bricks, toilets, sinks or into garbage containers. Grease containment & grey water disposal units must be provided.

Events in Waterfront Park:

  • Vehicles are not permitted on Rhapsody Plaza, Pioneer Garden or the wooden boardwalk (Simpson Walk).
  • Traffic control through Rotary Marsh is required for load in/out (with 2 way radios). This is a highly sensitive environmental area and any movement through this area must be coordinated with the Parks Services.
  • Large vehicles using Rotary Marsh as an access to Waterfront are limited to 26 feet in length. Tractor trailer units are limited to one single axle tractor pulling one single axle reefer trailer axle. Arrangements must be made in advance for any large vehicles on site.
  • Access to the Rotary Marsh will not be permitted during large events. This includes structures and equipment.
  • Irrigation shut down is limited to 48 hours.

Events using roadways:
(as per Council Policy #216, Traffic Control – Special Events)

  • Organizer is responsible for submitting a detailed traffic management plan addressing Ministry of Transportation requirements and City’s Traffic Control Policy for Events.
  • Impacted residents/businesses & churches must be notified in writing at least one week prior to event.
  • Traffic impact signage can only be erected/posted on City Roadways with the approval of the City and must adhere to sign placement regulations.
  • Barricades must be manned at all times. Course marshals must be a minimum 16 years of age and are required to wear safety vests.
  • Six metre emergency access lane must be maintained at all times during a road closure.