First-ever Kelowna Made coming to City Park on August 27
The wait is almost over. Kelowna Made is set to launch in City Park on Saturday, August 27. Led by a committee of local residents and the City of Kelowna, the all-ages celebration will feature dozens of activities and community partners with something for everyone. From trying your hand at water polo to yoga in the park, most of the events are free for residents to participate in or watch.
The day’s festivities will kick off with a good old-fashioned Kelowna Made Pancake Breakfast. Hosted by the Kelowna-Okanagan Mission Lions Club, the cash-only breakfast starts at just $5 for kids, with $6 and $8 options that include pancakes and sausages. All meals include juice, coffee or water.
Master Sand Sculptor, Peter Vogelaar, will be on-site to create a work of art and provide inspiration for families taking part in BGC Okanagan’s Family Sandcastle Building event. Participants are encouraged to bring their own tools and supplies and let their imaginations run wild. With only twenty designated plots and participation “prizes”, early registration is strongly encouraged.
The Kelowna Made Beach Volleyball Tournament, powered by Urban Rec, will be the first community beach volleyball tournament held at City Park. Registration for teams is $240, and the winners will receive champion t-shirts and bragging rights for decades to come.
Ballet Kelowna’s Pop-Up Series: Dance by the Lake will offer a free introduction to ballet class in the morning (registration now open). Throughout the afternoon, attendees can gather at the Jubilee Grandstand and take in the professional dance company’s rehearsal and warm-up before the evening’s pre-performance chat and free public performance.
The most unusual event of the day is sure to make a splash. The Kelowna Made Belly Flop Championship will welcome 15 competitors to entertain the masses while wearing silly costumes, telling family-friendly jokes and bringing smiles to friends and neighbours. Registration is now open for the 19+ competition, with full rules and judging criteria available at KelownaMade.ca.
Sarah Semeniuk, Event Services Coordinator with the City of Kelowna, is the City co-chair on the Kelowna Made host committee and hopes the event will bring the community together:
“Over time, we’re hoping Kelowna Made can grow into a signature event for the City of Kelowna. In this pilot year, we’ve got a variety of fun activities planned, including a wacky belly flop championship that is sure to be fun to watch or participate in! We hope this will be a fun all-ages celebration that will bring the community together.”
As a volunteer-driven initiative, Kelowna Made is still in need of people to help out on the day of the event. Shifts can be as short as two hours or cover the whole event. Volunteers will receive a limited edition Kelowna Made bucket hat, the ultimate souvenir from the inaugural event. To register your interest, complete this form.
Beginning at 9 a.m. on August 27, the 2022 Kelowna Made lineup includes:
- Kelowna Made Pancake Breakfast, Hosted by Kelowna-Okanagan Mission Lions Club
- Spirit of the Lake Parade Float, Hosted by City of Kelowna
- Kelowna Made Beach Volleyball Tournament, Powered by Urban Rec Okanagan
- Kelowna Made Artisan Showcase, Hosted by Artisans Showcase
- Park & Play, Hosted by City of Kelowna Park & Play
- Entertainment Stage, Organized by Festivals Kelowna
- Zorbs, Hosted by City of Kelowna Park & Play
- Kids’ Athletic Testing, Hosted by PacificSport Okanagan
- Master Sand Sculptor, Peter Vogelaar
- Pop-Up Series: Dance by the Lake, Hosted by Ballet Kelowna
- Yoga in the Park, Hosted by Okanagan Yoga Professionals
- Can you Canoe?, Hosted by Kelowna Paddle Centre
- Free Face Painting with Henna Hut
- Free Caricatures with Monte
- Family Sandcastle Building, Hosted by BGC Okanagan
- Water Polo, Hosted by Kelowna Water Polo Club
- Pickleball Elite Demos, Hosted by Kelowna Pickleball Club
- Food Trucks
- Disc Golf, Hosted by Kelowna Disc Golf Association
- Row your Dragon Boat, Hosted by Kelowna Dragon Boat Club
- Kelowna Made Belly Flop Championship
- Parks Alive! Street Dance, Hosted by Festivals Kelowna, part of the “PC Urban & Nicola Wealth Music Weekends” presented by Re/Max Kelowna and supported by Valley First
Kelowna Made emerged out of the City of Kelowna’s Event Strategy and its Get Eventive Days which involved public engagement, local activations and surveys. A volunteer host committee, established earlier this year, has actively utilized residents’ ideas and feedback to develop Kelowna Made.
Kelowna Made is set for August 27 in City Park (1600 Abbott Street). The event runs from 9 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. Learn more about Kelowna Made at KelownaMade.ca.