Council endorses 2021 budget carryovers

March 23, 2021

On Monday, March 22, Council endorsed the City’s 2021 carryover budget requests which will advance the work being done to build vibrant neighbourhoods, address complex social issues, enhance transportation and mobility and continue efforts on our commitment to environmental protection.

Budget carryovers include $172.4 million in operating and capital expenditures for projects that were unable to be completed in 2020 or that are multi-year projects set for completion within the next few years.

“As these projects were previously approved by Council, they do not add to the taxation demand for 2021,” said Kevin Hughes, Financial Planning Manager. “A significant portion, 42 per cent, will be funded through the City’s general fund sources and the remaining 58 per cent will come from self-funding sources such as the water utility, wastewater utility and the Airport reserve funds. Most of these carryovers are for projects that were delayed due to external events largely due to the ongoing impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic which slowed the progress of many projects in 2020.”

Some of the 2021 carryover budget requests that will help advance Council Priorities and the Imagine Kelowna vision include:

  • Enhancement of City Park to create a destination playground, pier, gathering circle, replacement of the promenade and redevelopment of the shoreline;
  • Continued investment in the Kelowna Integrated Water Project that separates agricultural and domestic water systems in Southeast Kelowna and delivers a sustainable water supply to agriculture in the South Mission; and 
  • Development and implementation of the PEOPLE Peer Navigator Capacity Building Program providing employment opportunities and supporting people experiencing a variety of vulnerabilities, including those with lived and living experience of homelessness and/or substance use.

There are three stages of the City’s annual budget process: preliminary budget in December, carryovers in March and the final budget that will be presented on April 26, 2021. At that time, Council will consider the final budget for adoption, setting the final taxation demand increase.

Following budget deliberations in December, Council approved a preliminary overall taxation increase of 4.04 per cent. On average, this means an $85 increase on a City of Kelowna residential property tax bill. City taxes are only one portion of a property tax bill, which also includes amounts the City collects on behalf of Province, Regional District, school and library levies.

For more information about the City of Kelowna’s budget and to view the 2021 Financial Plan, visit kelowna.ca/budget.