Young Female Volunteer of the Year Award
- Nominees must be between the ages of 13 and 19 as of December 13, 2017.
- Awarded to a young female in recognition of her outstanding voluntary contributions to the city of Kelowna. Contributions may be related to recreation, the arts, education, humanities, community service, and/or medical/business/commerce fields.
- Selections are based on the nominees achievements/contributions for the year 2017.
- Past information may be included, but should primarily be regarding the current award year.
- Finalist selections are based solely on the information in the completed nomination package.
As of 2014, the three successful finalists will receive funding towards their post secondary goals from the Dillon Thomas Budd Youth Scholarship - $1,000 for the award recipient and $500 for each of the two finalists.
Sponsored by the Thomas Alan Budd Foundation.
2016 Young Female of the Year Award Recipient
When Gabriela Rubio started volunteering as a candy striper at the age of 12, it seemed to ignite a passion for giving back to the community that snowballs every year. In 2016, the time she spent volunteering with her church, school and community totaled more than 1600 hours.
Over one thousand of those volunteer hours were spent as a cabin leader and assistant lifeguard at Gardom Lake Bible Camp, with nearly 200 more hours spent as a barista and cashier at Kelowna General Hospital’s Perking Lot Coffee Shop and 85 more manning the hospital’s information desk.
As an active member of Girl Guides of Canada, Gabriela has achieved her Canada Cord and Chief Commissioner’s Gold Award. For a second time, she has been selected to represent Canadian Girl Guides – this time for the international Swiss Challenge in Switzerland. She has also been chosen to attend the Ignite Inspire Innovate Girl Guide conference in Toronto.
At Okanagan Mission Secondary, Gabriele is on Grad Council, has established and organized the first OKM Table Tennis Club and through the OKM Leadership Excellence Program, has volunteered at numerous school events. She was also selected to attend the BC Student Leaders Conference this year.
Award Sponsored by:
- 2015 - Maya Gay
- 2014 - Thish Rajapakshe
- 2013 - Pauline Schrott
- 2012 - Kelsi Taron
- 2011 - Tanveer Gill
- 2010 - Danielle Heinzlemann
- 2009 - Jessica LeNoble
- 2008 - Sasha Gronsdahl
- 2007 - Brianna Beaudry
- 2006 - Caitlyn Slavik
- 2005 - Christa Hoy
- 2004 - Kelly O'Connor
- 2003 - Rachel Leier
- 2002 - Teryn Buna
- 2001 - Brenna Black
- 2000 - Jacqueline Collins
- 1999 - Sarah Carson