Residential parking

Timed parking restrictions (1 or 2 hour maximum) affect six residential zones in Kelowna. The restriction limits the time non-residents can occupy on-street parking spaces. These zones are in areas that attract large numbers of visitors. For detailed information on the residential parking zones, view map

A map showing the current time restrictions is also available.

Residential parking permits provide us with a record of resident vehicles on the street, making parking enforcement more efficient and effective. Permit holders may park their vehicle up to 24 continuous hours without moving.  All other rules and regulations contained in the Motor Vehicle act and Traffic Bylaw must be complied with at all times.

Out of courtesy to neighbours, residents are encouraged to park in front of their own residences when space is available. However, permit holders do not have preferential parking in front of their property, as the street is City-owned and available for anyone to park.  

The Residential Parking Program is governed by Council Policy No. 366.

Frequently asked questions
How do I obtain a permit?

Permits are available at the Application Centre on the second floor of City Hall.

Residents must provide their name, vehicle licence plate number and two pieces of documentation proving they live in a residential zone. 

One of those documents must be your vehicle licensing documents showing the vehicle is registered to the permit address.

Acceptable documentation to show proof of residency includes the following:

  •  Driver's Licence showing the permit address
  •  Phone, utility, or cable TV bill
  •  Property Tax Receipt
  •  Bank or credit card statement
  •  Tenancy Agreement
  •  Vehicle insurance/registration document (showing the permit location as the current address) (mandatory)
  •  Change of Address registered with the Post Office
What is the cost of a permit?

Residential Permits are $30 each (plus applicable taxes).  Fees are payable by cheque, cash or debit card at time of issue.  There is no charge for Visitor (Temporary) permits.  All permits are valid for a maximum of one year and must be renewed annually. 

In cases where a property was developed without onsite parking in compliance with the Zoning Bylaw in effect at the time of construction, or where a resident cannot park on their property due to physical restrictions to access their property, a fee exemption may be authorized on a case by case basis.  

Can I use a visitor permit for my personal vehicle?

Visitor (Temporary) permits are for the exclusive use of visitors to the residence, and their use will be closely monitored by enforcement personnel to detect misuse.  These permits may not be utilized on a vehicle registered to the resident or permit holder or any vehicle registered to an address within the zone the permit is valid within.  Vehicles found misusing a pass will be treated as if no permit was displayed and the vehicle may be ticketed and/or towed.  Misuse of any Visitor (Temporary) Permit will result in a cancellation of ALL permits for a period of one (1) year, and future issuance of visitor permits for that residence will be reviewed, and possibly denied.

Visitor must be present at registered address while the permit it in use.

What happens if I do not have a permit?

Traffic Officers patrol time-restricted areas. Vehicles parked for more than the posted time limit without a permit can receive a fine or can be towed at the vehicle owner’s expense.

Where should I display my parking permit?

Hangtags must be displayed from the rear view mirror. Decal-style permits must be affixed to the inside of the lower left driver's side of the windshield. Officers must be able to clearly see your permit and it must not be obstructed in any way, or a fine can be issued.

Why do I have to pay for a permit?

Resident permit fees are used to help offset the enforcement and administration costs to provide this service to residents. This program requires a significant amount of staff resources to operate and provide enforcement.

Why doesn't the City use ticket revenue to pay for the program?

The measure of successful parking program is compliance with the Traffic Bylaw and a reduction in the number of violations.  When a parking management program is a success, the fine revenue decreases.  Our goal is not to increase fine revenue, but to change behaviour and solve the parking problems in an area.

Can the City restrict my street to resident parking only?

Residential Parking Only zones, in which the parking is reserved exclusively for residents, will not be considered unless all other parking management measures have first been exhausted and the following criteria are met:

  • A petition is completed showing support from a minimum of 80% of Residential Permit Eligible Dwelling units on both sides of a block (between two intersecting streets).
  • The subject block must have insufficient off‐street parking. The total number of off‐street parking spaces for all residences in a block must be less than the total number of spaces required as per Zoning Bylaw No. 8000,
  • With a 1‐hour maximum time limit in effect, occupancy levels during peak periods must exceed 90%, with a minimum of 50% transient parking.
  • Unless a Resident Parking Only zone is approved as part of an area parking plan approved by Council, implementation may be limited to one‐side or 50% of a block, to be determined by the Parking Services Manager, Traffic Operations Supervisor, Parking Operations Coordinator.
  • The block must be located within 500 meters of a High Parking Generator. Peak operating hours for the High Parking Generator will be used to establish the new restriction (i.e. daytime, overnight only or full‐time).
What happens if I move or acquire a different vehicle?

Residential permits are issued to a specific vehicle licence plate and are valid within one residential permit zone.  If you change vehicles and obtain a new licence plate number, your permit will not be valid and you must apply for a replacement permit.  Please bring your vehicle insurance/licensing information to the Application Centre, located on the second floor of City Hall to update your permit information.

How do I request implementation of a new time restriction in my area?

The process to remove a restriction is similar to requesting a new one. A petition showing support of no less than 70% of the residents in the area of the restriction (minimum of one block area) must be submitted to the City. Only one resident per dwelling unit is eligible to sign the petition. A printable copy of the petition form is available.

How many permits can I have?

The maximum number of permits that may be issued to a property is governed by the type of housing.

Dwelling Type

Maximum number of Residential permits per dwelling unit

Maximum Visitor (Temporary) permits per dwelling unit 

Single Dwelling/Single Detached Housing - 1 Dwelling22
Single Dwelling/Single Detached Housing (with Carriage House) - 2 Dwellings21*
Single Dwelling/Single Detached Housing (with Secondary Suite) - 2 Dwellings21*
Semi-Detached/Duplex Housing - 2 Dwellings 21*
Semi-Detached/Triplex - 3 Dwellings21*
Semi-Detached/Fourplex housing - 4 Dwellings21*
Apartment/Row housing (greater than 5 dwellings)Not available5 per building

*1) Additional Visitor (Temporary) Permits may be issued for a property with a large amount of street frontage. The total number of Visitor (Temporary) Permits for the property may not exceed one permit per seven metres of frontage. Approval will be on a case by case basis by the Building and Permitting Manager, Parking Services Manager, Parking Operations Coordinator, Development Services Coordinator or their designate.

*2) One Short‐Term Visitor (Temporary) Permit may be issued in the case of a family emergency (i.e. illness), where an additional on‐street parking space is required. This permit will be valid for one‐month period. Approval will be on a case by case basis by the Building and Permitting Manager, Parking Services Manager, Parking Operations Coordinator, Development Services Coordinator or their designate.

How can I get more information?

For information on obtaining a Residential Parking Permit, contact the City Hall Application Centre at 250-469-8960.

For enforcement related inquiries, contact the Parking Services Branch at 250-469-8400 or .