Building stratification process

Home / Homes & building / Property Development / Subdivision / Building stratification process

Stratification of a building can take many months to get from the initial application to an approved stratification.  If you are new to stratifying we strongly suggest that you hire an agent to work with you on your proposal.  You may choose a BC Land Surveyor, an engineer, or a development consultant.

The Official Community Plan Policy 5.9.1 does not support stratification of buildings with 4 or more units when the rental vacancy rate is below 3%. This is to encourage the preservation of rental accommodation.

What is a Stratified Building?

A stratified building is two or more Single Family Dwellings with a single lot being common property. The lot must be zoned RU6, RU7, or any of the RM zonings. There are two types of stratifications:

  • Duplex (must be zoned RU6 or RU7)
  • Multi-family dwelling (must be zoned RM)


The time it takes to process and make a decision on your stratification proposal can vary, depending on the number of applications in the system, the scale and complexity of your project, and how thoroughly you prepare your application. Components include time for review of the application, investigation and development.


To initiate the process of stratifying a building, you will require a Building Status Report prepared by certified professional. Any upgrades required to the building can be identified through that process to bring the building reasonably up to current BC Building Code. This can be an expensive investment dependent on the current state of the building(s).

Fees and costs

Application Fees are available in our Development Application Fee Bylaw and may change yearly. Other agencies may also charge fees related to your application.  For example, you may incur costs from outside agencies such as FortisBC, your water provider, or BC Safety Authority for electrical work.

You may also need to apply for a plumbing permit and/or building permit to complete any required upgrades.  All building permits must be complete in order for the City of Kelowna to approve the stratification. You will require an electrical contractor authorization which will be given to you after the electrician has inspected the premise to ensure it is in accordance with the provisions of the Electrical Safety Regulations administered through BC Safety Authority.

Finally you are responsible for all costs related to the stratification and development of the property. For example:

  • road and drainage works
  • utilities
  • survey
  • covenants and other legal documents
  • environmental habitat restoration
  • site grading and retaining


For More Information

A number of City documents will influence whether or not your property can be stratified. Some of these include the Official Community PlanZoning Bylaw, and Council Policies.

Information regarding your ability to stratify a property can be obtained from the Application Centre located on the 2nd Floor of City Hall. Inquiries can also be made by telephone at 250-469-8626.