Kelowna’s Official Community Plan outlines a clear course of direction for hillside development.
The Plan encourages sustainable development practices by:
- Supporting development in appropriate hillside locations which respects and protects the natural topography
- Protecting the natural characteristics of the hillsides
- Maintaining and enhancing the quality of hillside flora and fauna habitat
- Encouraging cluster housing options which respond to the natural environment on appropriate sites where grading and site disturbance is reduced
- Encouraging the creation of private and public green spaces between development nodes
- Minimizing site disturbance by allowing the sharing of driveways, parking and open space amenities.
Flexibility and innovation on the part of both the City and developer is encouraged to permit projects which result in a reduced impact on the natural environment.
Before completing an application, see the following information: