Irrigation system approval application
The City of Kelowna Water Utility requires an application for all new residential and commercial irrigation system installations. There is no fee for the application.
These requirements are specified within the Water Regulation Bylaw for the City Water Utility area (specifically section 4.4 and schedule C).
The Water Regulation Bylaw was adopted to conserve water and support the City's commitment to sustainability.
Who needs to apply?
- All residential dwellings installing new irrigated landscape material comprising of an area of 100 square meters or more must obtain approval from the City prior to installation.
- The bylaw only applies to property owners serviced by the City of Kelowna Water Utility.
- Not sure if the bylaw applies to you? Check out the City's Water Provider Map to find out.
- Irrigation of farm crops does not require an application.
Anything else I should know?
- Every new irrigation system must be installed with an outdoor irrigation master shut off valve outside the building, accessible to the City, and also must install an irrigation controller that can program by day of week. See Water Regulation bylaw, section 4.4.10.
- A Backflow Protection device (Dual Check valve for residential) is required for irrigation connections. A Plumbing Permit is required for the Backflow Protection device.