Utility billing FAQs

Below you will find some answers to common questions and sample scenarios.

If you have a question not covered below, contact Utility Billing Customer Care, Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at utilitybilling@kelowna.ca or call 250-469-8757 (option 2). For after hours and emergencies call 250-469-8600.

How do I find my account number?

Your account number is displayed at the top of your City of Kelowna Utility Bill. You can sign-up for Online Billing with your account number and access code listed below it to conveniently access and manage your account information.  Sign up for eBilling to go paperless and receive your bills by email.

How can I access my billing history?

Your billing history is available via Online Billing. You can also contact Utility Billing Customer Care at utilitybilling@kelowna.ca or at 250-469-8757 (option 2).

Why can't I see my balance or new bills after a certain date?

Any ownership changes on your account will generate a new access code.  Please contact Utility Billing Customer Care at utilitybilling@kelowna.ca  or 250-469-8757 (option 2).

I am a tenant and moving out, what do I do with my utility account?

Because tenant accounts are being phased out, your account will need to be closed. Contact Utility Billing Customer Care at minimum two (2) days prior to your move-out date at utilitybilling@kelowna.ca or at 250-469-8757 (option 2). We will schedule a final meter read and issue you a final bill. Be sure to pay your account to bring it up to date.

If you signed up for Equalized Payment Plan and/or Pre-Authorized Withdrawal System (PAWS) be sure to call us at least 20 days before your move-out date to cancel enrolment. You will also want to update your financial institution to remove the account from your payees list.

I am renting my property to a tenant and have been for a while. Does anything change?

Tenant accounts are being phased out and no new tenant accounts will be created. Your existing tenant account will be maintained until they move out or the property changes ownership. When your tenant moves out, the utilities account will be transferred to the property in your name, as the owner.

As the landlord you will need to decide how to bill utilities to your tenant (e.g. part of monthly rent, as an addition to rent, or if you provide them with your account number to pay at their financial institution). Landlords can request, with written proof of consent, a copy of the bill to be sent to the tenant at the property, addressed to the occupant.

I’ve just found out my tenant has not paid their utilities in a few months. What’s next?

Any amounts due  which remain unpaid after December 31st of the year are deemed to be taxes in arrears and added to the property taxes on that property. For further information regarding this process, visit our Transfer to taxes FAQs page.

I manage multiple properties. What’s the easiest way for me to keep track of utility billing?

We recommend signing up for Online Billing. You can add in all the individual property accounts that you manage in one convenient online location.  Sign up for eBilling to receive your bills by email.

Alternatively, you have the option to request a copy of the account statement to be sent to your tenants. As the landlord you will need to make arrangements with your tenants for payments. The account remains in your name.

I am selling my property; can I close or transfer my utility account?

Your account does not close, instead it will transfer to the new owners of the property. The account number for the property never changes. BC Assessment will provide the City of Kelowna with the new ownership information.

Your lawyer/notary and real estate agent will need to reconcile utilities as part of the sale (similar to how they reconcile outstanding tax balances in the statement of adjustment) as the City does not do final meter reads.

Are you on the Equalized Payment Plan and/or Pre-Authorized Withdrawal System (PAWS)? Be sure to contact Utility Billing Customer Care at utilitybilling@kelowna.ca or 250-469-8757 (option 2) or at least 20 days in advance to cancel your enrolment for your account. You’ll also want to update your account number with your financial institution.

How do I change my mailing address?

Notify  BC Assessment directly to change your mailing address. Visit  BC Assessment Change of Address Notification, call 1-866-825-8322 or mail to:

300-1631 Dickson Ave, Kelowna BC, V1Y 8H2.

You will need your folio number, assessment area number and jurisdiction area number in order to make an address change.

  • Folio number: This number can be found on your property tax notice. However, if you do not have your tax notice handy, the folio number can also be found using our  Property Tax and Assessment Query online service tool (Folio is referred to as Roll). 
  • Assessment area: 19
  • Jurisdiction: If your folio number is five digits or less (e.g. roll 8500) then your jurisdiction number is 214. If your folio number is greater than five digits (e.g. roll 12051228) then your jurisdiction number is 217.
  • If submitting in writing: Include the folio number of the property, previous mailing address, new mailing address, your printed name and signature.

Important:  This refers to change in mailing address only.  If you no longer own a specific property, the change in ownership will be picked up when BC Assessment is provided information from the Land Titles office.

Note:  BC Assessment will register an address change in the City of Kelowna's system weekly.

How can I calculate the estimated utility usage when I sell my property?

The City does not do final meter readings outside of the regular billing cycles. When a property sells, the estimated utility charges and balances will need to be reconciled by lawyers and real estate agents as part of the sale, similar to how tax balances are calculated through a statement of adjustments. The tax certificate can be used for approximating calculations.

I will have a new tenant next month, how do they set up their account?

The City of Kelowna is not opening new tenant accounts. The utilities account is with the property in the property owner’s name. As a landlord, you will need to manage utility payments directly with your tenant. Suggestions on options you may wish to consider are: include utilities as a fixed sum as part of monthly rent, bill your tenant an addition above rent to cover utilities costs, provide your tenant with the account number and they can pay the amount owing with their financial institution.

Any amounts due  which remain unpaid after December 31st of the year are deemed to be taxes in arrears and added to the property taxes on that property. For further information regarding this process, visit our Transfer to taxes FAQs page.

I think I may have a water leak, what can I do?

If you have an unusually high water bill or notice that there is pooling water in your house or yard, you may have a leak.
Here is a list of items to check around your property to investigate prior to contacting the City:

Have you noticed any toilets routinely running or filling without flushing?

The rubber dam at the bottom of the toilet tank could be deteriorating causing a small leak.
Flush handle could be loose or stay stuck causing the water to continue to flow unless the handle is jiggled.

Has there been any power interruptions to your irrigation controller that may have caused it to change its watering schedule?

Verify the programmed watering schedule to ensure that it aligns with your allowable watering days, that your watering time is appropriate for your hydrozone/plant material and is between the hours of 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.

Are there some unusually wet spots in your yard that do not seem to dry out?

Check to see if there is normal water pressure coming out of hoses or irrigation lines. A drop in flow could indicate a broken pipe somewhere.

If you have access to view your meter: turn off anything that may be using water (taps, washing machine, dishwasher, irrigation system) and check your water meter for several minutes. If you are still observing increasing water usage numbers, then there is likely a leak.

What if I think my water meter is at fault?

We can verify that your meter is reading correctly, but we ask that the steps above be checked first prior to contacting the City. Life expectancy for a water meter is typically 20-30 years and are replaced according to a strict maintenance and replacement schedule. Meters will wear over time, but when they wear, they tend to slow down and therefore produce lower water usage readings. Meters only produce higher readings if there is an increase in the rate of water flowing through.

Please be aware that you are responsible for all water consumed on your property, but in the event of a confirmed leak, the City accepts requests to have the consumption reviewed for possible adjustment to a lower tier rate for that billing cycle.
Before contacting the City to request a review, there are a number of items to be aware of:

  1. The source of the water leak needs to have been identified, isolated, and repaired. It is recommended that you contact a certified plumber or irrigation contractor and keep your receipts as proof of repair. If you fix the leak yourself, save material receipts as proof along with pictures or documents to support that there was a leak and that it was repaired. In all cases, the City will request that you submit these along with the adjustment request.
  2. You will need to contact the City Utility Billing office and receive instructions on how to submit your request and documentation so that a Service Request can be started for the review.
  3. The review may take some time as part of the process involves reviewing the next one or more billing cycles to verify that water usage has returned to normal.

We can help reduce your water bill! The City offers a free service to have an irrigation professional come in and assess your irrigation system in order to assess the irrigation controller programming and water coverage recommendations. This is a great way to not only save some money, but also help in conserving vital water in our arid Okanagan climate.