About the election
Receive election news and updates directly to your inbox.
Sign up for election e-updates
Elections are now held every four years in Kelowna. The next General Local Election will take place on Saturday, Oct. 20, 2018. Qualified electors of the City of Kelowna will elect the following positions for the four-year term ending in 2022:
- (1) Mayor
- (8) Councillors
- (4) School Trustees
Provincial legislation governing the General Local Elections include:
- Local Election Campaign Financing Act
- Local Government Act, Part 3
- Local Government Election Regulation, BC Reg. 380/93
- Financial Disclosure Act
- Financial Disclosure Act Reg. 32/2001
Visit Elections BC for more information about the new campaign financing and election advertising rules.
City of Kelowna bylaws regulating the General Local Election include:
- Procedures for the conduct of the 2018 General Local Government Elections and other voting Bylaw No. 11565
- Procedures for the use of automated Voting Machines General Local Elections and other Voting Bylaw No. 10970
- City of Kelowna Election Sign Bylaw No. 10411
City of Kelowna requires all electors to register at the time of voting. There is no list of electors.
Unofficial results for the 2018 Kelowna Election will be posted online after the polls have closed on Oct. 20.
Council Candidate Information Night: Thursday, August 23, 2018 at 6:30pm
Nomination Period: September 4, 2018 at 9 a.m.through September 14, 2018 at 4p.m.
Deadline for Challenge of Nominations: Tuesday, September 18, 2018
Deadline to Withdraw: Friday, September 21, 2018
Declaration of Candidates: Monday, September 24, 2018
General Voting Day- Saturday, October 20, 2018 (unofficial results will be available on kelowna.ca/election following the close of voting)
Official Results: Official results declared no later than Wednesday, October 24, 2018
New Council Orientation: October 25, 26, and 29, 2018
Council Inaugural Meeting: Monday, November 5, 2018