Bylaw violation frequently asked questions

How do I schedule my adjudication date and location?

The first step in disputing a ticket is to call the local jurisdiction in which you received the ticket. Information on who to call is on the violation notice. You will then have an opportunity to submit information so that the Screening Officer can review the case and if appropriate cancel the ticket. If the violation notice is not cancelled it will be forwarded to an Adjudicator. Adjudication hearings are held monthly in various locations within the Okanagan.  

What are my options to dispute my bylaw offence notice?

Disputants have 14 calendar days upon receipt of the Bylaw Offence Notice , to file a dispute. If they do not request adjudication within 14-days, they will not be able to dispute the allegation. Bylaw Offence Notices can be disputed in writing, by phone, or in person.

What happens if I forget to pay my bylaw offence notice?

If a Bylaw Offence Notice remains unpaid after 28 days, the late payment charge as noted on the front of the notice will be applied. If the notice remains unpaid after the final notice is sent out, it will then be sent to a collection agency for further action. 

What happens if I did not receive a ticket and find out about the alleged offence after the 14 day dispute period?

When a Bylaw Notice remains unpaid after 14 days, a reminder notice is automatically generated and sent by mail. If you advise the Bylaw Services office within 21 days of the issue date of the notice that you did not receive the original, the Bylaw Offence Notice may be reissued and the dispute period extended for an additional 14 days. 

What are the different types of offence notices?
  • Bylaw Offence Notice (Handwritten or Computer Generated)
    • May be issued to a person, company, or vehicle
    • Used for first time offenders or minor offences.
    • Disputes are heard by a dispute resolution adjudicator appointed by the province and held at the local government level.
    • Fines of up to $500 per offence.
  • Municipal Ticket Information (Handwritten)
    • May be issued to a person or company.
    • Used for repeat offenders or more serious offences.
    • Disputes are heard in the Provincial Court of B.C., usually heard by a Judicial Justice of the Peace (JJP)
    • Fines of up to $1,000 per offence.
  • Longform Information (Summons issued by Provincial Court Registry)
    • May be issued to a person or company.
    • Used for repeat offenders, serious offences, or situations were a court order may be requested.
    • Case is heard in the Provincial Court of B.C. before a Judicial Justice of the Peace (JJP) or a Provincial Court Judge.
    • Fines of up to $10,000 per offence, 6 months in jail, or a court order may be issued.