Formal Public Tendering
Click here to view a copy of Bylaw 9590 Purchasing Policy.
Apart from the overall authority granted to the City Manager, only the Purchasing Branch is authorized to initiate formal public invitations to bid (formal Public Tendering):
- The Purchasing Branch may make formal public invitations to bid for the purchase of construction, consulting services, equipment, material, supplies and services for use in City operations;
- The Manager of Purchasing, from time to time, may delegate others such as The Divisional Director Infrastructure to make invitations to bid for City engineering works and services;
- The Real Estate Services Manager may purchase land.
Formal Public Tendering Thresholds
Dollar values establish the methods employed to purchase construction, equipment, material, supplies and services:
- Quotations are obtained for most expendatures of $5,000 and above, but less then $75,000, by the Purchasing Branch or designate from suppliers by telephone or in writing, depending on the value and complexity of the purchase.
- Formal Public Tendering, at $75,000 and above, will be advertised by the Purchasing Branch. This advertising will be on BC Bid (www.bcbid.gov.bc.ca) and may include some or all of the following; Bonfire (www.kelowna.bonfirehub.ca), local, provincial or national newspapers, the City web page at www.kelowna.ca, and the CivicInfo webpage (www.civicinfo.bc.ca).
- Items 1 and 2 above also apply to situation where the Purchasing process has been delegated to other City departments such as Infrastructure Delivery.