Click here to view a copy of Bylaw 9590 Purchasing Policy.
Apart from the overall authority granted to the City Manager, only the following officials are authorized to call bids:
- Purchasing & Stores Branch may call bids for the purchase of construction, consulting services, equipment, material, supplies and services for use in City operations;
- The Manager Purchasing & Stores from time to time may delegate others such as The Divisional Director Infrastructure to call bids for City engineering works and services;
- The Real Estate Services Manager may purchase land.
Approximate dollar limits establish the methods employed to purchase equipment, material, supplies and services:
- Quotations are obtained (value of up to $75,000) by the Purchasing Branch or designate from internal price records or from known suppliers by telephone or in writing, depending on the value and complexity of the purchase.
- Tenders or Requests for Proposal (above $75,000): will be advertised by the Purchasing Branch. This advertising will include some or all of the following; local, provincial or national newspapers, the City web page at www.kelowna.ca, BC Bid (www.bcbid.gov.bc.ca) and the CivicInfo webpage (www.civicinfo.bc.ca). Known suppliers may be contacted directly. Tenders are received and opened/registered in public in the City Clerk's office. Requests for Proposals are not opened publicly.
- Items 1 and 2 above also apply to situation where the Purchasing process has been delegated to other City departments such as Infrastructure Delivery.