Kelowna and Area Mountain Bike Strategy
The City of Kelowna and the Regional Distract of Central Okanagan jointly developed a comprehensive mountain bike strategy for improved delivery and management of this sport. Kelowna's City Council approved the strategy in February 2009 as a guide for the development and management of mountain bike facilities with the City.
Mountain Biking includes a wide range of participants and riding options that range from family rides along the Mission Creek Greenway, downhill riders testing their skills on challenging descents, younger riders getting airborne off dirt jumps, to destination tourists eager to explore the Okanagan's recreational opportunities for the first time.
Riders have specific kinds of trails and facilities they need to enjoy their sport. these need to be built, managed and maintained to ensure a safe and responsible use of the landscape.
The Kelowna & Area Mountain Bike Strategy assess what the area around the City of Kelowna already has in place and creates a plan that identifies the needed trails and facilities required to meet the current and anticipated demands from the different riding disciplines.
The strategy identified several short and long term priorities for the City to work towards including:
- Developing Mission Creek Mountain Bike Skills Park in partnership with the local club, Mountain Bikers of the Central Okanagan (MTBco) to build and maintain this skills park, the first of its kind within the City - grand opening was in July 2010
- Updating the Knox Mountain Park Management Plan was completed in 2011
- Designating downhill and building additional cross country mountain bike trails within Knox Mountain Park - anticipated improvements are scheduled for 2014
- Developing three additional Mountain Bike Skill Park
- Working with developers and the District of Lake Country to establish an epic ride through the Glenmore Highlands.
Barb Davidson, Parks Planner
Phone: 250 469-8837